Thursday, August 17, 2006

unbearable bouts of nostalgia

the smell of polluted traffic
the sun on your arms
the sweat in your hair

the scent of the gardenias around my wrist
the taxi's zammour
his curses and yells

suddenly remembering forgetting to stop
for the 'rabtet khebez inti w jeyeh'

the sea on my lips the salt on my skin-
another sunburn today

the unmistakable smell of beirut
the instant smile right as you exit the plane

on the balcony with chai and mne2eesh
w labneh w zaitoun
w ba3ed shwayyet zeit

i am aching for you
and everything i knew
all that i love and all that i hate

you're burning inside of me
damn you
it hurts so much to love you

7 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

I know, it must hurt awfully and I feel so terribly sorry about it.
You will have it again - Beirut will be built up again and be JUST as beautiful or maybe even MORE beautiful that before .. and then you will have it all back.
I support you with all my heart!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

group hug :(((((
the sun on my forearm and the smell of beirut, yes.. i know..
we rabtet el khebez...
:(((((
kiss ikhta man shou mishte'a.
layoul ra7 yifta7 lmatar, kint 3am fakker fiya!! bass ba3den ntabahet inno isteze byifta7le rassi iza fallet again.

8:43 PM  
Blogger _z. said...

:)
7elo hal post princess. you are a real urbanite. a real beiruti.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Hamze said...

Princess,

you definitely hit a nerve.

just got my masters. Looking for a job and Torn between staying or leaving (to libnan or somewhere closer).

you just put down in words what I am thinking about on a daily basis; I wouldnt have changed a word if I were to write it myself... Thank you.

1:10 AM  
Blogger rouba said...

very nice.
kel hal astor w ma katebteh satr 3an beirut 3endeh you bitch!
ye7re2 deena!
good morning :)
i miss the smell of Tamim's thyme as i am walking towards the hospital and thinking of excuses abt why i'm late, in that little one way alley which you'd never guess was a one way alley.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

So if we all ache so much for beirut.
Ache, in the heart and the soul, ache to the point where it physically hurts.
so why don't we go back? why? I understand things will not be like here but life is full of compromizes. and If we really love beirut so much, it would be worth it.......................................................

7:25 PM  
Blogger AM said...

7elo!!!
:)

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home