Wednesday, August 2, 2006

White flags, not a legitimate target

Israel must take responsibility for the dreadful human toll in Lebanon

published in Guardian Unlimited

Monday July 31, 2006 Day after day, Israeli government spokesmen insist that everything they are doing accords with international humanitarian law. Endless communiqués insist that Israel's behaviour is "proportionate". Let us be blunt: those claims are fantasy, as the carnage in Qana has shown once again.
I have seen my share of modern wars, as a researcher at Human Rights Watch. In Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq, we found many civilian casualties due to bombing campaigns. Civilians fleeing attacks were hit by mistake. In Iraq, US bombs often hit civilian homes, hours after Saddam Hussein or members of his inner circle had left, missing their legitimate targets but killing civilians. In Lebanon it is a very different picture. Time after time, Israel strikes at civilian homes and civilian vehicles attempting to flee the besieged southern border zone, killing families without any military objective in sight.
In an extraordinary, and extraordinarily revealing comment, the Israeli Justice Minister, Haim Ramon, reportedly said, "All those now in south Lebanon are terrorists who are related in some way to Hezbollah." So if you take to the roads to flee, you are a terrorist - who else would travel the southern roads now? And, if you stay at home because the danger is so great, you are also a terrorist. For the innocent civilian, there is literally no way out.
Take the example of Manal, a 22-year-old housewife, who had just arrived in Beirut when I met her a few days ago. For nearly two weeks, Israeli warplanes struck Manal's border village of Aitaroun, obliterating homes and families. A Canadian-Lebanese family vacationing in the village was killed; the next day, another rocket destroyed a home 100 meters away from Manal's house, killing at least nine members of a family. So many were killed in her village that she finds it difficult to remember all the names.
When the Israelis dropped leaflets instructing all villages south of the Litani River to evacuate immediately "for your own safety," Manal and dozens of her neighbors set off in three cars, waving white flags. As they left, an Israeli warplane dropped bombs 10 meters in front of and behind the convoy, which raced on. As far too many Lebanese civilians have found, Manal's experience is not exceptional, on the contrary.
In another case, Israeli forces struck the home of a Shi'a cleric Sheikh Adil Mohammad Akash, who was reportedly affiliated with Hezbollah but without a direct military role. Even if the sheikh had been a fighter, the bomb killed him, his wife, their ten children, and the family's Sri Lankan maid. The ratio of twelve for one reveals Israel's disregard for civilian lives.
Although mistakes are made in the fog of fighting, the pattern of Israeli behavior in southern Lebanon suggests a deliberate policy. My notebook overflows with reports of civilian deaths, day after day.
Israel blames Hezbollah for the massive civilian toll in Lebanon, claiming that they are hiding the rockets they are firing at Israel, in civilian homes, and that they are fighting from within the civilian population. This is a convenient excuse. Human Rights Watch has consistently documented Hezbollah's war crimes, including deliberate and indiscriminate attacks on Israeli civilians, as well as the taking of hostages. But our investigations have not found evidence to support Israeli allegations that Hezbollah are intentionally endangering Lebanese civilians by systematically fighting from civilian positions. We can't exclude the possibility that it happens - but time and again villagers tell us that Hezbollah is fighting from the hills. Meanwhile, the homes hit by Israel have only civilians in them.
The current Israeli actions are not only wrong, but - short of compelling evidence to the contrary, which so far is nowhere to be found - also war crimes. Israel's leaders, and their friends elsewhere in the world, must face up to that truth.
Peter Bouckaert is Emergencies Director at Human Rights Watch

7 Comments:

Blogger Rafael said...

Wow! This is the kind of exposure needed to bring attention to this "Holocost."

Princess, I have posted a letter I sent to my Senator on my blog. When I get a response I will post it. Also I sent and email to President Bush which I posted as well.

I would encourage everyone that lives in the states to write or call their Representatives and voice your displeasure. Some say that it is now use. Well it is just a phone call or an email. We do have a process and we should use it.

In the end, I hope that this will soon come to an end and that Israel will be held accountable for these actions and charged with crimes against humanity.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Princess,

Check out these cartoon drawings which are very moving and chronologically details what happened the last 3 weeks in Lebanon.

They are drawn by a young kid 17 years "zouzou" who has a great
heart.

make sure you scroll to the bottom to not miss some great ones.

Peace and God Save Lebanon

3:52 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

God allmighty ... how deep did humanity sink! We are in the TWENTYFIRST century ... and look what's going on! Wars should belong to the past ... and people shoild have learned to get along, to respect one another! Yea - I know I am fantasysing but ... wouldn't it be beautiful?
These people will have to account one day for EVERY SINGLY PERSON they killed ... I do NOT want to be in their shoes! What goes around - comes around ...

STAY STRONG - WE'RE ALL WITH YOU!!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Committee for Peace Abbas al-Shalhoub
Subscribe the petition at
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/stopthemassacre

I have decided to change name to the committee that follows the peace
appeals that I am launch. I have given the name of one of the children
killed from the Israelis to CAna in Lebanese. This to perennial memory of
the pain that door the war, is just, unjust, humanitarian, unilateral,
declared or not declared it, against the terrorism or whichever thing that
we are not. Abbas al-Shalhoub was a child of a year. I have two
sons, one of three years and means and one of seven months, knowledge that
only a small cold them can hit makes badly me star, this renders me the
pain immense that can have tried the parents of that child who did not
have no guilt. It could not not ask itself because for that war. The
smile had to be the only expression that had to pass on its ace, the joy
of the games, the affected look of a father whom it sees if same, the hope
of a mother had to be the images in front of its eyes. But someone has
decided launch a missile, strafregandosene that some civilian could die,
would have been “damages collaterals”… But we think that child, with to
the other trentasei that are died with to he… Because a number does not
remain, because its name remains imperituro in our memory, as it it is
that one of our sons here, because it is a our son always, because I have
given its name to my engagement, to my committee… You pardon to me but
the tears come down me… Ettore Lomaglio Silvestri

What has succeeded to Cana past Sunday and what are still succeeding to the borders between Israel and Libano, are actions of pure terrorism.
The United Nations do not have the ability (obviously for guilt of the veto of Bush) to condemn them explicitly, and let Israel to only kill because two soldiers have seized it.
Personally, as you will know, they are against whichever war and, in the instruction of Gandhi resumed also from Terzani, I do not try vendetta but I only try to stop the spiral of the war, one hateful spiral. We know all that in the wars only the civilians forgiveness.
Watched the photos that I have to you attached, and you say if your heart to me not tear blood to thinking next to those poor children.
They could be our sons like Abbas al-Shalhoub that had only a year.
We cannot that we put the human rights to the center of our battle, tacere of forehead to this slaughter.
Above all we must hold account that in order to stop the war we cannot say: “I make It after the vacations”.
How many persons will have to die while we of are ourselves happily spread in sunlight (I have a skin cancer therefore I cannot allow but to the example stocking me) to, with justice, playing with our sons?
I would not have the conscience to place, of the rest to rest there am always time, therefore I invite to make something to you, in name of Abbas, name of the others 200 and passes children who the Israelis have massacred for their stupid reasons.
Children do not have nationality, they are the flowers of this world, for this I write children and not libanesi children. You have to know, if I watched my son or my daughter in the eyes and knew that I have not made null because an other child lived, I would not have the courage to watch it in the eyes.
We organize therefore an other garrison, we organize other manifestations, we write to governing ours so that cry strongly to stop this stupid war.
Yesterday of it I have written and I make to read you. Thanks, I hope that it is succeeded to make something!!! Ettore Lomaglio Silvestri

Dear Ministers,
I would want to ask you for giving a glance to the photos that I enclose to you.
They are drawn from www.moqawama.net.
They are some of the photos of the murdered or hurt children in the massacre of Cana.
I will ask you only one what, after that you will have watched to them with attention.
Would have you still the courage to be mute and untalking?
Would have you still the courage to speak about reasons of Israel?
Would have you still the courage not to take part?
They are father, like many of you, I have two small sons, like many of you they have or they have had.
I, in front of these photos, have only the force to cry and cry my need of Peace.
Not vindict, because it would create other evil.
Not hatred, because hatred would give other innocent dead men to us.
Only Peace.
Stop Israel, stop the war everywhere it is.
I do not have the courage to hold detention the impassible look and the forehead heart much evil, to much violence.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi has taught to me but not to ask the blood for my enemy.
Only Peace.
Stop Israel once again.
Thanks, Ettore Lomaglio Silvestri

10:54 AM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

In matters between states, the individual alone, without
strong state institutions, is helpless. In Lebanon, for decades, the state has either assumed a position of weakness or has been crippled by outside interests.
One was beginning to believe that Lebanon had finally found its vocation as a nation after the murder of Rafic Hariri. It was perhaps inevitable that after so many years of corruption, destruction and fraticide, this weak state would be destroyed.

I mourn the civilians that have been
killed over these most recent weeks.
And I deeply mourn the destruction of their
nascent democracy that alone could
have created a Lebanese state strong
enough to defend itself.

3:43 PM  
Blogger rouba said...

kifik el yowm zghiri?
kaza maza?

4:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hi
i just heard that america will give them F20 or 22 or something fighter jets and israel said this is a sign of the US's support and thanks to israel for fighting iran. are we iran?
we keefek hayete?

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home