Tuesday, May 2, 2006

happy birthday my darling.


I drive you to the airport. you are leaving again.
I make you laugh at my little stories.
you hum Wadee3 El Safi.
I glance at you. I am 10 again.
you tell me you're taking the fig branch. you know where you'll plant it. you have reserved a spot for it and protected it with metal railings and a "no parking" sign. you will watch it grow from your office window. I laugh at you. Later you will send me pictures and the tears will finally run as I remember how painful it is to miss you.

you tell me the figs are delicious, they remind you of the village.
you tell me you will retire in 3 years. you tell me that every year.
you say you dream about the day when you'll be back, to the playground you left too early.

I hate the times we're in because your dreams are still dreams.


We're there. As usual, I lose my voice.
I look away. I help you with your bags.
I wish you a safe trip.
I wish you would never leave.
I still cry after you go. I am 10 again.

dad, I adore you. I dont think I will ever tell you. I cant.

I thank you. for reminding me to be real and fair. for teaching me to love big and to dream big. for the letters you used to send me. for your spirituality, for your standards, for your sacrifices.

happy birthday, I still believe you will live forever. with you I will always be ten.

loul.

16 Comments:

Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

Beautiful...

My dad and I are very close too, so I can identify with what you're saying. I used to hate being so far away from him, and sometimes I would just call him, and start crying. And he would know why.

Allah yikhaleelik iyyeh :)

1:12 AM  
Blogger rouba said...

ola chica! tu padre es muy muy sympatico y tu posta very touching
muchas besos

1:14 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

very touching Layla, I hope he reads this :)

2:45 AM  
Blogger Mar said...

Yesterday was my dad's Bday too. He looked so cute opening the gifts.
I know what you mean about him urging you to love and dream big.I am what I am, mostly because of him and I'm so grateful for that.
Many More :)

9:21 AM  
Blogger FZ said...

Laila, this was so beautiful and very touching-- you reminded me of my dad too! :)thank you

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy bday khalo!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very touching laila, alla ykhalleelek elbaba.
so what happened to you yesterday?

hi issam

11:32 AM  
Blogger Ghassan said...

this is just beautiful.
we thank him too :)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Ghassan said...

is the metal railing and the sign for real? this is awesome!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

You made me cry,now it's my turn to get the "poor little girl, she's lost her mind" look. I'm sure he knows how you feel. I find that with parents they know our feelings even if we never give them a voice.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Laila K said...

thanks guys, i'm glad it reminded you of your own dads.
Eve, I emailed it to him, I havent heard back yet :S
mirvat, i was in the shower!
gus, its for real, isnt it so cute?
mia, sorry!and I really hope they do :)

6:44 PM  
Blogger Hashem said...

Allah ykhallilik eyyeh ya Laila,
and happy bday to him!
my father's bday is in 3 days!

10:02 PM  
Blogger black feline said...

sincere tribute..im touched..i didn't had a good relationship with my late dad till the last 2 weeks before his passing away :) bitter sweet for me

12:02 AM  
Blogger Laila K said...

anny, 53, and anny, i love you dear you know that right? :)
hashem, happy birthday then!
BF, sorry about your dad :(

12:13 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

the metal railing and the sign are for real? laaaaa! how sweeeeet :)

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home