Friday, April 28, 2006

I love what I do

I love my job. and today i know why.
i went back to the lab this week for "the final experiment". i haven't been there for a few months now, between my operation, writing my thesis, and a couple vacations it's been a few months.
As soon as i made myself comfortable and started labeling my tubes, i knew it. i belonged.
i've always wondered why. i mean that road is full of frustrations, and only on special occasions is it rewarding . plus we're incredibly underpaid.we are "expected" to work evenings and weekends.and i usually dont, hell no, i hate that (ok i might be this weekend, but it's the final experiment and all).i cherish my evenings and there's no way on earth i'm week-ending any where near that round building.
we're labelled nerds and have the very limited opportunities for interacting with new people/situations.
exactly.people annoy me.i feel uncomfortable with most of the people that i meet. most of the times i leave with the same conclusion: there's nothing in common.
for me what you do for a living defines so much who you are.i can't have a job just for the sake of having one no matter how much money i make. my job partly defines me. and a lot of people i meet have no connection whatsoever with their 9 to 5 jobs. i cant connect with those people.
i cant connect with materialistic people.i cant connect with people who are unaware of all the madness going on outside their radius of home/ job/party/shopping area.
i cant connect with people who dont question. who dont wonder. who dont challenge.
and mostly i cant connect with people who dont own their principles or their actions.
there. what i do is simply liberating, it gives me my space- my peace.
all day.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to feel like that, until science got the best of me. Now it's all about the money.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Fouad said...

The best feeling in the world. To be doing something you love. Kinda like drinking (water that is), (well, not necessarily ruling out other drinks..), it feels good, and right and natural and no matter how much you do it, you just can't get enough of it (I mean in the big picture, not in one session):)

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r one helluva lucky person:). cheers.

11:59 PM  
Blogger zoombots said...

It's great when you finally get to do something you like, and get paid for it too! You're lucky.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people "enjoy" their job. I hope they ask that question in the next census. It would be a good barometer of our society's mental health!

12:38 AM  
Blogger Eve said...

I know how void I feel after I'm done translating a very long book. there is relief of course, but there is also a feeling of loss, alienation and emptiness. And I'm not myself again until I savorly open the pages of a new book, and start all over again.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Laila K said...

anonymous, i have a feeling that you're gonna change your mind
fouad, i know what you're "trying to say" :)
anonymous, funny, i never thought of myself as lucky before
zoombots, maybe you should start s survey on ur blog?
Eve, yes i know, i think you totally fit with what you do

9:41 AM  
Blogger Rambling Hal said...

There is nothing, NOTHING as important or as fulfilling in life as being able to love your job and doing it because you ENJOY it, and not just because you need the money to survive. So happy for you! Life just gets so much BETTER when you're happy about work! Good for you babe!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i have so much to catch up on..
i think i know who anonymous is!! i feel the same sometimes but i agree with laila, i only feel that i am who i am when i sit by that bench and start working :)
i love it too laila, thanks for reminding me.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Ghassan said...

you made me laugh. this is a liberating post!
pre-defense syndrome we are experiencing, are we not?
(hey if you say it long enough, you might... well.)

7:39 PM  
Blogger black feline said...

it's so true...most people drag themselves to work literally..:( an ideal job..i think..a travelling job where u can enjoy and make money as well...lol..my dream.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

laila, how is LC?

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LC is fine ya Mirvat, just had to kill my blog for paranoid personal reasons, will be back soon with a fresh one.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Mar said...

You're right, very few people love what they do. Yes I feel lucky to be in the industry I'm in.
People complain that it's unrewarding and can be very deceptive and I can't not agree. At the same time, I possess the passion for it and will always do.

The founder of the place/legacy I work in once said:
" You don't get into the business. The Business gets into you"
If you feel this way, your WHOLE life will be so much smoother, not just your office one.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

I think that's what we all should strive for doing what makes us happy. That's how I measure success.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

It's the best feeling, knowing that you are doing something that you like. It gives your life a meaning. It makes waking up early in the morning much easier! Otherwise, life would make no sense at all. After all, we do spend most of out time working. Happy for you laila!

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the state of the other person can't dictate whether you connect with them or not.

you must realize and utilize that power on your own, without the fuel of like-mindedness. see yourself in everyone.

love.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home