Sunday, April 23, 2006

Alli (there)..


I don't believe in reincarnation.
but if i'm wrong, then i strongly believe that i was a chica latina in one of my previous lives.
a feeling of recognition.
the language.
the salsa.
the people.
the food.
the love for life.
my favorites..Celia Cruz, Ibrahim Ferrer, Neruda, Garcia-Marquez, Jose Marti.

this is one of my favorite poems by Neruda

Fabula de la sirena y los borrachos

Todos estos señores estaban dentro
cuando ella entró completamente desnuda
ellos habían bebido y comenzaron a escupirla
ella no entendía nada recién salía del río
era una sirena que se había extraviado
los insultos corrían sobre su carne lisa
la inmundicia cubrió sus pechos de oro
ella no sabía llorar por eso no lloraba
no sabía vestirse por eso no se vestía
la tatuaron con cigarrillos y con corchos quemados
y reían hasta caer al suelo de la taberna
ella no hablaba porque no sabía hablar
sus ojos eran color de amor distante
sus brazos construidos de topacios gemelos
sus labios se cortaron en la luz del coral
y de pronto salió por esa puerta
apenas entró al río quedó limpia
relució como una piedra blanca en la lluvia
y sin mirar atrás nadó de nuevo
nadó hacia nunca mas morir.

(Fable of the mermaid and the drunks
All these gentlemen were there inside
when she entered, utterly naked
they had been drinking, and began to spit at her
recently come from the river, she understood nothing
she was a mermaid who had lost her way
the taunts flowed over her glistening flesh
obscenities drenched her golden breasts
a stranger to tears, she did not weep
a stranger to clothes, she did not dress
they poked her with cigarette ends and with burnt corks
rolled on the tavern floor with laughter
she did not speak, since speech was unknown to her
her eyes were the color of faraway love
her arms were matching topazes
her lips moved soundlessly in coral light
and ultimately, she left by that door)
scarcely had she entered the river that she was cleansed
gleaming once more like a white stone in the rain
and without a backward look, she swam once more
swam toward nothingness, swam to her dying)

(picture: Trinidad, Cuba, 2004)

13 Comments:

Blogger Lebatron said...

I think it fun to think about who or what you could have been in your "previous life" if you believing in that.

9:44 AM  
Blogger rouba said...

seen Il postino yet?

my favourite line for neruda:
Sometimes a piece of sun
burned like a coin between my hands

12:14 PM  
Blogger Ghassan said...

since I visited south america, I decided to retire there... very soon, I think! :)
(PS: I heard that Neruda has a 'party' in lebanon. true?)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Dubai Sunshine said...

My biggest regret is not keeping up with my Spanish lessons. I took lessons in high school and then again in university. But now, I have no one to practice with, and although I do understand almost everything, I am far from being comfortably able to have a conversation in Spanish!

Beautiful post though :) Plus, it helped me practice my Spanish a bit!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i feel the same way, that i really connect with the culture, the music and salsa..beautiful post.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Laila K said...

lebatron, do you??
rouba, just wanted to rent it and all copies are already out, Murphy again..
gus, marry me :) dont know about that party, hallucinating are we?
DS, muy contenta que te gusta :)
gracias salsera M.

3:50 PM  
Blogger J. said...

Laila just to let you know that I have responded to your post on my blog ;)
Now back to real life...

6:32 PM  
Blogger Laila K said...

jij, I am honored :) (I'm a pain in the but arent I)

7:54 PM  
Blogger FZ said...

I totally agree about the cultural resonance (not just because of my current relationship!). I would love to travel to South America... by motorcycle!

11:42 AM  
Blogger FZ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Lebatron said...

Ah, ghassan, I'm going to Lebanon in roughly a month for 12 weeks. I cannot wait. I'm also going to be stopping in Germany on my way to watch a world cup game. That should be exciting.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Jamal said...

Despues de vivir 9 anos en faux-cuba, me encantaria visitar la isla antes de que llegue Ronald Macdonald a desvirgarla.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Laila K said...

fz, i did that on a harley from miami to key west..amazing!
jamal, claro, pero tambien antes de que Castro decide a morir :) Cuba si!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home