Sunday, June 4, 2006

Eros (2004)

Kar wai. Soderbergh. Antonioni.
3 directors.3 visions.

Kar Wai's "Hand": a young tailor in love with a call girl.
can you imagine making love to her, with only your fingers touching her dress?
with Chen Chang (3 times, 2046, Happy Together..umm..he's gorgeous?) and Kar Wai? oh yes.

Soderbergh's "Equilibrium": a guy (Robert Downy Jr) wakes up from one erotic dream only to fall into another. here he's with his psychiatrist (Alan Arkin) , who himself is having a little fling from the window (here trying to fly a paper plane while Rob is pouring his heart out). To me..well let's just say that i couldnt feel the spirit of Eros in the room at any time. It was great though, a bit comic, and a bit a la David Lynch.

Antonioni's "Dangerous thread of things": I thought the plot was somehow weak..as did the few reviews that i read. a man is mad at his wife because of the lack of desire between them, so he has an affair with another woman. BUT, the bad plot is made up for by amazing Tuscan scenery and in the last scene, where both women meet on the beach, face to face, wonderfully naked. I liked it, and kinda saw Eros.

my favorite: Kar wai of course. the combination of acting and music never fails to touch me. it's such an intense feeling, and i cant help it, he's incredible.

my idea of Eros? first scene: across the room. one long gaze.

in between..maybe another time (i have no idea).

final scene: he's standing behind her. not touching. faces so close. she can smell him and feel his breath on her neck. but not touching.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

I think i'd like to see this. I'm sure from your description the first one would be my favorite.

10:07 PM  
Blogger rouba said...

ok i'm gonna rent a Karwai and try to be patient, maybe he'll grow on me
but antonioni, you're right, he has magnificent cinematography!

11:33 PM  
Blogger black feline said...

saw it...love it...especially the segment by Wong Kar Wai...Gong Li is the ultimate diva...she was equally stunning in Geisha..literally stole the show from Zhang the lead...

9:11 AM  
Blogger Mar said...

No touching.How Shakespearean.Lovely.

9:46 AM  
Blogger hakki said...

I heavenĀ“t seen it. I must.
I can imagine the great pictures where kar wai is showing the love of the young tailor for the women in the details of his work.
And i like Antonioni.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home