Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Oh crap...

Back to real life..
As I was on the way back on the train I thought let's check my messages, the first one was cute from Dr. Ghoussoub asking me where the hell I am, hello?? told you I'm going to Windsor!have some coffee! the second was from my supervisor asking me to call him asap. As soon as I hear his voice my heart drops and my stomach turns...I think that my paper might be rejected but at this point it's just a distant thought and I'm acting very cool about it eating my red starburst..call call call no one's home, finally he picks up and my stomach starts turning again, and sure enough, we got the boot! he tell me "but they really liked it in general it's just that..." and my insides turn and turn.. asks me to go meet him tomorrow morning to talk about it.
I come home and look at the reviews, I feel like vomiting immediately! one of them actually wrote: "it doesn’t help that the text is ridden with acronyms and jargon"...what the hell? and I thought I was the queen of prose..oh well..I had to look up "jargon" and "acronym" cos at that point I was still in denial..
so it's either that I'm going back to benchwork for a while or I'm submitting somewhere else. oh, now that I write this down it's suddenly clear to me that anyways i have to do more experiments..oh crap..
all I want to do is jump into my cozy bed covers and eat nutella and watch my sitcoms. I mean what is reality? shouldn't I be able to tune in wherever I want whenever I want? why NOT??
ok I'm starting to hallucinate now, a mixture of lack of sleep and food (I'm starting a very strict diet..tomorrow, really) and plans and love life and money and..
tuning out...3...2...1...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are trying to find definitions to reality, the field of academic research is not where you need to be looking. I'd be consulting Nietzshe or Sartre if I were you. And to answer your question, yes, you should be able to tune in where you want whenever you want. In the famous words of Tom Cruise from the movie Risky Business: "Every now and then say 'What the fuck'. 'What the fuck' gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future. Say 'what the fuck', if you can't say it, you can't do it.

Issam

4:38 PM  
Blogger rouba said...

Leila, there are many different realities but it is what you perceive in your mind that is your reality. Think that you are an independent strong woman whom nothing fazes (except acronyms and jargon)and soon to be ivy league east coaster - et voila - as real as it gets!
And these stupid paper-reviewing snobs who live in their molecular reality, what do they know of ours?? To hell with them all!

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home