Thursday, January 26, 2006

Paradise Now

This afternoon I went to see Paradise Now, and no not because it won the Golden Globe, I really wanted to see it earlier. Since I finished writing my thesis I have a bit of time on my hands..
I have to say that it's one of my favorite movies already. Directed by Hany Abu-Assad, it is a simple story of two best friends on their journey to becoming suicide bombers. Both of them want to do it, but do they know why? and if they have any doubts, do they really have a choice? Is there a choice? These questions are dealt with by 3 main characters: Said (so gorgeous) who seems skeptical and acts beautifully throughout the movie, Khaled who seems so confident but nothing is what it seems, and Suha, the rich daughter of a martyr with noble values with little practical use. Beautiful movie, especially the finale. Definitely a must see. What did you think?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Laila finally discovered blogging. let's see how long it will be before you lose interest and stop updating. For me it was 4-5 months.

-Issam

10:51 AM  
Blogger Laila K said...

Forgive my lovely cousin, he's just jealous!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Fouad said...

I loved it too. There was a combination of emotional intensity and detachment that is usually hard to capture on film. I was a little bothered by how suddenly Khaled changed, and I felt like it needed a little more easing into, but it all makes sense. He never wanted it to begin with.

10:56 AM  
Blogger The Human Product said...

i do agree its a really good film, personally (and im against suicide bomming) i didnt think Hani abu assaad did a good job in explaining the reasons behind their actions...
check another film by him called FORD TRANSIT, its a really good documentary

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home